This budget-friendly slow cooker chili is so easy to make and features such great healthy eating ingredients for all in one bowl:
- Sweet potato- a great source of fiber, potassium, B6 and beta-carotene
- Black beans- high in protein and fiber
- Turkey- high in protein, selenium, B3 and B6
For this recipe I couldn’t wait to use the awesome ground free-range turkey that I bought online from U.S Wellness Meats- and it DEFINITELY didn’t disappoint. It seriously tasted so much better than the ground turkey I’ve gotten in the past at the grocery store.
This chili comes out to being 6 servings at a cost of $2.54 per serving:
- $7.89 Ground Turkey (US Wellness Meats)
- $2.50 Pomi strained tomatoes
- $2.50 Pomi diced tomatoes
- $1.20 sweet potato
- $1.15 low-sodium black beans
- Total: $15.24
Since I was going to have an extra long day away from the house today, I decided to put together this crockpot chili last night and allow it to cook while I slept. I woke to turkey deliciousness that was ready for me to pack for my lunch all week!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 26oz container of Pomi diced tomatoes
- 1 26oz container of Pomi strained tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chli powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet. Add to slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, strained tomatoes, sweet potato and black beans.
- Add all spices and stir to combine.
- Cook 8 hours on LOW.
- Add additional spices to taste.