I was craving a good lasagna, but with all the errands to do I didn’t have time to wait around for this Italian favorite to cook in the oven. The crock pot to the rescue! To follow a clean eating diet, I substitute white noodles for brown rice noodles- which actually also makes the meal gluten-free! I definitely prefer brown rice noodles which taste like regular white noodles, as opposed to the whole wheat (which tastes very grainy to me.) I got my Pastariso Organic brown rice noodles at Vitacost.
This recipe is seriously yummy without weighing you down.
This recipe is for a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. To make this in a 3-quart slow cooker, half the ingredients (which is what I did today!)
Unlike many slow cooker recipes that are forgiving when you cook them longer than needed, this lasagna needs to be cooked 3.5 – 4 hours on LOW only. Extended cook time or HIGH temperature will lead to overcooked noodles.
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 2 containers of Pomi strained tomatoes (26.46oz each)
- 1 package brown rice lasagna noodles (I used the Pastariso Organic brand from
- 2 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 16oz part-skim ricotta
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella (shred yourself- do not buy packaged)
- Brown the ground beef and combine with tomato sauce, basil, oregano and garlic salt. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, ricotta, Parmesan and 1 cup mozzarella.
- Place a layer of the meat sauce on the bottom of the crockpot, add a layer of lasagna noodles and a layer of the cheese mixture. Note that you will need to break up the noodles in spots to fit correctly.
- Repeat for the layers 3 times.
- Cook for 3.5- 4 hours on LOW.
- A half hour prior to end cooking time, add the remaining mozzarella on top.