Growing up in Chicago I had a love for Chicago-style hotdogs, gyros and Italian Roast beef sandwiches. You could get these three lunchtime staples on nearly every corner of the city. When my husband and started dated and I was impressing him with my cooking skills, I fine-tuned my Italian Roast Beef recipe.
It quickly became one of my husband’s favorite recipes and is part of our monthly rotation of recipes!
- 3 - 4 lb rump roast (or chuck roast if not available)
- 2 cups water
- 2½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jar of peperoncini
- Add water and all spices to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place roast in the slow cooker and pour water/spice mixture on top of it.
- Add beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Cook 10 - 12 hours on Low or 5 - 6 hours on High.
- Shred beef 1 hour prior to serving (1/2 hour prior if cooking on High.)
- Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of juice from the peperoncini jar as well as about half of the jar's peppers. Add more based on your taste.