I remember growing up and having “sloppy joe” night featuring ground beef and Manwich. This clean eating version of the classic sloppy joe’s sandwiches utilizes an awesome blend of beef, mushrooms, carrots and spices. I got the tasty grassfed ground beef that I used in this recipe online at US Wellness Meats.
Thank you BHG.com for this delicious recipe!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 16 ounce jars salsa
- 1.5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¾ cups shredded carrots (1.5 medium)
- ¾ cups finely chopped red and/or green sweet pepper
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Brown the meat and add to the crockpot
- Add remaining ingredients to the crockpot and stir to blend.
- Cook on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve on your favorite "clean" buns or bread!